Cultural Tour Itinerary
Day 1 – Istanbul – Gallipoli Tour
06:30 Pick up from your hotel or hostel in istanbul and drive to the World War I Battlefields of Gallipoli.
12:00 Arrive at lunch stop in Eceabat
12:30 Fully guided Gallipoli Tour
* Beach Cemetery (John Simpson’s Grave)
* ANZAC Cove
* Ari Burnu (First ANZAC landing place)
* Lone Pine Cemetery (Australian memorial)
* Johnston’s Jolly (Walk in the ANZAC trenches)
* View Shrapnel Valley
* Turkish Memorial
* The Nek and Walker’s Ridge
* Chunuk Bair (Main New Zealand memorial)
17:30 Gallipoli Tour ends
After the tour, transfer to hotel. Overnight.
Day 2 – Troy – Assos – Ayvacik & Local Village Tour
07:30 Depart from hostels / hotels.
08:00 Ferry crossing from Eceabat to Canakkale over the famous Dardanelle waters.
Breakfast includes Turkish pastries and a fruit juice on the run.
08:30 Arrival in Canakkale and drive to the site of TROY, 36km to the south.
* Troy – Tour the historic home of the Trojan wars at Troy with a local, english speaking guide.
Here you will see the remains of 9 city levels destroyed over time by different forms of destruction both human and natural. You will hear the stories of the myth and the history behind the excavations.
* Depart for Ayvacik – a small non touristic town with a great Friday market where you can buy all sorts of local produce, fruit & vegetables and handicrafts. You’ll have plenty of time to wander around and maybe even pick up a few bargains! You will have a pleasant choice of local foods which you may buy for your lunch.
* Depart for Assos, A traditional stone house village set upon a mountainside with a beautiful harbour down the bottom, overlooking the island of Lesvos. Here we will tour the Temple of Athena on the highest point of the mountain and have Turkish tea at a local Çay (tea) House which has an extraordinary set of coffee tables to sit at.
* Late afternoon departure for Local Village, Here you will wander the traditional village seeing sights such as the old wheat crushing wheel and the thatched summer houses for the sheep.
* Late evening departure for Eceabat. Anyone wishing to go southbound may be dropped off at the bus station in Ayvacik for an onward bus journey or after arrival to Eceabat bus transfer back to Istanbul. Arrival to Istanbul and transfer to hotel. Tour ends.